Facts you may not know about Martin Luther King, Jr
Posted by Laura Burton on Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 4:38 PM By Laura Burton / January 28, 2021 Comment
Did you know?
- Martin Luther King, Jr was the youngest person at the time to receive a Nobel Peace Prize? He was just 35.
- He is the only non-president to have a national holiday in his name. He is also the only non president with a memorial in the National Mall in Washington, DC.
- He was the first black person to be named Time Magazine’s Man of the Year in 1963.
- A woman nearly assassinated him 10 years before his death by sticking a letter opener in his chest - he spent several hours in surgery and barely made it out alive. He issued a statement that he felt no anger or ill will towards the woman.
- His mother was also murdered by a gunman. He was given the death penalty but it was later changed to life in prison because King’s family did not believe in capital punishment.
- He was born with the name Michael, but after his father, a minister, visited Germany, he was inspired by the Protestant leader Martin Luther, and he changed his own name and the name of 5 year old MLK,Jr.
*these facts were gathered from CultureTrip.com and HISTORY.com articles by Alexia Wulff and Christopher Klein